Sunday, November 4, 2012

Day 13 - 30 October 2012

30 Oct 2012 - Today's viewing went a lot faster than the last two, I'm improving, or just lucky.  There was a lot of movement in my MicroAquarium™ today.  I'm sure this increase in activity is due to the food Dr. McFarland added to the tank on 26 Oct 2012.
     On this date, one "Atison's Betta Food" pellet was added to every students MicrAquarium™ (McFarland, 2012).  The Betta food was made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104 (McFarland, 2012). Ingredients: Fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives (McFarland, 2012). Analysis: Crude Protein 36%; Crude fat 4.5%; Crude Fiber 3.5%; Moisture 8% and Ash 15% (McFarland, 2012).
     I saw a lot of movement in the tank but was only able to focus on four organisms: Acinosphaerium, Anisonema sp., Loxophyllium (Picture 1), and Stentor sp. (Picture 2).  I didn't post Acinosphaerium since I posted a picture of a similar one last week nor did I post a picture of the Anisonema sp. because it was a blurry image.  In addition, I discovered some water mold (Picture 3), which I thought was another type of protozoa since it appeared to be motile, but the movement was due to the water motion as I moved the base plate around.
     At the end of the viewing session, I added water to the MicroAquarium™ to ensure the plants and organisms had maximum available space to move and grow.  Until next week!

Picture 1.  Loxophyllium has distinctive wart-like bumps at the cell's lateral margin.  This is a predatory ciliate gains energy and nutrients through heterotrophy (Patterson, 1996).

Picture 2.  Stentor sp. has external cilia that move bringing in food particles (Patterson, 1996).
Picture 3.  Water mold hyphae as identified by Dr. McFarland. 


Bibliography
Botany 111 Fall 2012 (Blog). Watersource: 11. Fountain City Duck Pond (cited 2012 November 4).  Available from: http://botany1112012.blogspot.com/

Patterson DJ. 1996. Free-Living Freshwater Protozoa: A Colour Guide. Washington DC: ASM Press. 132 p. and 107 p.

No comments:

Post a Comment